Sunday, April 4, 2010

Michael Jackson, Jesus Christ, and Duke

I know what you may be thinking:  How can she put Jesus Christ and Michael Jackson in the same sentence?  Does she live on the same planet as we do?  Yes, in fact, I do.  Although I am somewhat educated as to the history of Michael Jackson (I don't really like bragging about what pop culture I know, so we won't really go there - haha), his music and his personal life, one of his songs struck me.  I wasn't really planning on buying his CDs since I have some of his songs on iTunes, so it was a last minute decision to buy his "Number Ones" last week.  And I love the CD!  I'm sure it's in my CD player in my car right now.  His song, "You are not alone" made an impression on me.  Although it is a love song, I thought about the Savior, especially with this line:

"Just the other night I thought I heard you cry
Asking me to come and hold you in my arms
I can hear your prayers
Your burdens I will bear...
You are not alone
For I am here with you
Though you're far away
I am here to stay"

As I heard this song, I thought of the Savior and how He will bear our burdens.  Interestingly, I am comforted by that thought.  Perhaps it is hard to give up everything we have and cast it upon Him, but when I think about this idea, I feel relieved.  Let Him have everything that is difficult for us!  Let's just give it all to Him.  Think how much lighter and happier we will feel.  Let's get rid of all that extra weight that is bearing us down - the Savior will gladly take our burdens.  He will even lift us up too.  When we feel sadness or like crying or feel alone, the Savior is "here with [us] and here to stay."  While there is constant change and turmoil around us, He is constantly here with us forever; he is unchanging.  

On a different note, if you do not follow March Madness or read the sports section or watch ESPN, Duke did win and it was an easy win for them too.  If only I had them winning tomorrow too!  

No comments:

Post a Comment