Thursday, March 18, 2010

Why I'm really not a BYU hater

I have a feeling after today that several friends think I'm a "BYU hater." I'll explain this in a second, but here are some reasons why I do not technically hate BYU:

1) I graduated from this university in 2005
2) I faithfully attended most of the basketball games while I was attending school there
3) I still follow BYU sports
4) I still stay in touch with professors
5) I still own BYU apparel (although I admit that I never wear it)

Hopefully you are all following these (AMAZING) March Madness games! And Madness it is! Double overtimes, major upsets, and disappointed brackets have made this first day intense. I was almost having a heart attack this morning as I watched my thoroughly researched, well-chosen, perfect bracket fall to imperfection, then lowered my standards to the hope that my bracket would have at least 50% wins by the end of the day. The major heart attack this morning included BYU's (lucky?) win. I insert the word "lucky" because FL lost two of their best players in the overtimes and were forced to work with what they had left. BYU also missed several free throws, even though they are the best free throw shooting team in the NCAA right now, yet they were up by seven with two minutes in the second overtime. Possible luck?? (and a LOT of prayers...)

I need to state that I did not pick BYU to advance to the second round. Here are my reasons: a) BYU is not historically known as a clutch team, b) the last time they advanced to the second round was in 1993 when some of my older friends were graduating high school (but I will say that I am not THAT old - I just have some older friends...haha) c) they tend to lose big leads, ie the 13 point one today lost late in the game. Upon reviewing these facts, I chose not to advance BYU. And I got a lot of crap for it. Why? Most people tend to think that I need to be cheering for my alma mater, even when it seems clear that BYU will not pull through. As long as I back up my reasons, shouldn't you be a little more supportive, please? ;-)

I will bet you serious money that, after Kansas State wins their first round, when BYU meets KS, they are toast. Don't even think about debating me on this. That's analogous to asking me to debate whether Kobe is the best basketball player in the NBA right now (sorry to all you Lebron fans out there) and why he is such a dominant necessity for the Lakers.

1 comment:

  1. You can totally be a BYU hater, in fact, I think it might be better that way! :)

    ReplyDelete